In How to Win Friends & Influence People, Dale Carnegie goes over some timeless principles on how to win people to your way of thinking. Many highly successful people have attributed their success to Dale Carnegie, including Warren Buffet. For me, when I find that my relationships are lacking in any way I go back the following principles to remind myself to what I need to do.
1. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
2. Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say. “You’re wrong”
3. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
4. Begin in a friendly way.
5. Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
6. Let the other person do a great deal of talking.
7. Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
8. Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view
9. By sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
10. Appeal to the nobler motives.
11. Dramatize your ideas.
12. Throw down a challenge.